Tuesday, December 6, 2011

The American Dream

In class today I brought up a personal example of "The American Dream", and I just wanted to discuss that a little more. When my dad was 19 he came to American in pursuit of an education, and the hopes to find a job, become successful (whatever that means), and start a life here. The job opportunities in Lebanon were not as promising as everyone has heard in America to be. He started off living in an apartment in a not so good neighborhood, flipping eggs for a living as my mom would say it, and even attended UB like us. Today my dad is the business owner of a Mobil gas station and even co-owns two others. He is his own boss, makes a good living, has a nice house, and a great family. This is everything he could have ever wanted. I know my dad worked really hard, stayed motivated, never gave up, and made some pretty smart business moves. This story keeps me motivated in believing the American Dream, but I know this is not the case for everyone. I know others including my family members who came from overseas and need public assistance and are unable to achieve the goals which my dad has. But I'm not sure why he could do it but others can't. I know my dad wasn't given any advantages, being a foreigner in a new country with not a penny in his pocket... but some how he found a way to make it work. I don't believe that all it takes is a hard worker to be successful, because I know many people who are hard workers, even made it to college, got a degree, and still make less of a living or can't even find a job. This really leaves me confused... maybe my dad was one out of a small percent.. I'm not sure. I also know people such as my uncle and a friends father who have come to own their own businesses and are making six figures, yet never went to college! Indeed these men are hard working, I can tell you that for sure... but then there are the people like I said who go to school, even get a PhD and can't find a job... are society is so twisted.. I think I just confused myself a little more =\

No comments:

Post a Comment