Tuesday, December 6, 2011

My Grandpa's American Dream

My Grandpa came from a humble background. He was born in India and grew up in poverty. He and his brothers were able get enough money together to move to England when he was about our age and he found work as a barber. He met my grandma there and after they got married they decided to move to the states and pursue the American Dream. They chose to settle in Rochester, as my grandma had a relative that lived there. My Grandpa being a skilled barber and one of the kindest people you'd ever meet, was able to make some connections and eventually start his own barber shop with an American friend of his. He earned a lot of customers and started making earning a decent living. In fact he was even able to join a local country club were he met a lot of his dear friends. My grandparents had three kids which they raised in a nice house in the suburbs that my grandma lives in to this day. Had he stayed in India, I don't think he would have achieved all this. His story is pretty inspiring and I wish I knew more details about it. Of course he had the benefit of coming to a post WWII America that had a booming economy. I think there is less opportunity in today's America. Don't get me wrong, I believe with hard work and the right decisions it is certainly possible to advance in America, but its not like it used to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment