Thursday, September 8, 2011

Buffalo housing racism


When I read the article Detroit and the housing market I thought about the similarities to Buffalo. I looked online to find something about how the race and housing problems in the 1940’s are still a problem today. I didn’t really have to look online, all you need to do is drive through downtown buffalo. The things mentioned in the Detroit Time Bomb article reminded me of Buffalo. The east and west side is full of houses in poor conditions where people are living in bad neighborhoods. These communities are seemingly racially segregated, although I have family still living on the East Side an overwhelming majority of people who live there are Black. In better off communities such as Clarence or Hamburg there is a vast majority of “white” people.

http://newyorksociologist.org/08/Krieg-08.pdf

The article I found online discusses how racial segregation appeared in Buffalo from the Beginning and through the 1950’s when “whites” were moving to suburbs and the East Side became a predominately “lower income and predominantly African American neighborhood” (17). The article also brings up a more recent description of Buffalo, which are a “reflection of the past”.

No comments:

Post a Comment