Thursday, September 22, 2011

Troy Davis

Last night, I was channel surfing when I saw the news story of a man who had just been executed. His name was Troy Davis, a black male who was accused of murdering a police officer in 1989. I had not heard of this case until after he was executed so I decided to look into it a little more for some details. I wanted to see if this may have had something to do with the color of his skin. He was tried in front of a jury of 7 black jurors and 5 white jurors. I still got the feeling that he was not giving a fully fair trial. After being convicted with no murder weapon found, it was 20 years of Davis claiming his innocence in the appeals process to no avail.

This story made me feel sick to my stomach and made me think back to the Casey Anthony trial. Her life was not on trial, as was Davis's, but just as Davis, there wasn't enough evidence to convict her. Yet, it took only witnesses to take Davis's life. Davis held to the last second of his life that he was innocent. The only thing that makes me sicker than a possibly innocent man's life being taken is that there is a question of whether or not race was a deciding factor.

No comments:

Post a Comment