Tuesday, September 13, 2011

A whole new layer to white privilege

I think one of the most intriguing things we've discussed so far has been the topic of White Privilege. I find it ridiculous we take advantages of these privileges everyday and we never even realize it! I'll admit, our discussion in class was the first time I've heard of such a thing. This is disturbing because people who aren't white could tell me all about this subject, but being white, I never noticed. The fact that we don't even understand what these rights are is the most alarming part. An example of white privilege could be not being harassed at the store, or not being singled out when dealing with financial lenders. These are just a couple situations we might find easier by being white, and not minority. I think this whole problem dates back to the founding of our nation, which was created by white slave-owning males.

The accompanying article, "A whole new layer to white privilege," chronicles the situation of vulnerability and racism white people felt following the attacks on 9/11/01.

http://www.mennoweekly.org/blog/2011/9/12/whole-new-layer-white-privilege/

I really appreciated this article on multiple levels. I agree with the author, because the people in country really have become more narrow minded towards other races and religions since the attacks 10 years ago. Considering myself a "privileged" white person, I think it's important we understand that racism like this is only felt because our culture can condition us to think that way. But I think if we all took advice from this article, and we "peel back the many layers of race, class and other privileges that insulate us," then we can begin to make changes. Small steps like this could ultimately lead to equality in the racial structure of America.

No comments:

Post a Comment