Tuesday, September 27, 2011

More on 9/11

Continuing on from what a lot of other people have been saying about September 11th and Arab racism, I agree with the points that have been raised. We all know that not all Arabs are terrorists, in fact, only about an incredibly small percentage of them are, but the fact that that small percenatge did such great damage to the American moral, really ruined the image of "arabs" and "middle-easterners" in Americans eyes. I think since that attack on our country, it will take a great deal for Americans to get over our racism of Arabs. The majority of us will probably stereotype anyone who looks like they are from the Middle East. If there had been a chance of Americans growing out of our racism toward Arabs before September 11th, there is no chance now.
As for my personal opinion of the situation, I think that it is hard to get over the fact of what happened on September 11th and get past the racism toward Arabs, especially since the 10th anniversary of 9/11 stirred up some pretty strong feelings of hatred in me toward those people of that extremist group. But when I see "Arabs" or someone from the Middle East, I don't automatically think that they are racist. However, I think that this generation, who has witnessed the action of September 11th in our lifetime, is probably going to be a generation that harbors racist feelings toward Middle Easterners.

No comments:

Post a Comment