Thursday, September 8, 2011

Tuesdays class and race

Race? I'm not 100% sure of everything we discussed in class on tuesday but the question on my mind was why is race so relevant? I think the misperception is that race reflects ones physical apperrance, when that is definitely not always the case. I'm Latino, Puertorican to be even more specific and to identify someone from my "race" can be quite a challenge. We range from blonde hair and blue eyes to dark skin and brown (my family is a great example). Race is unfortunately a huge part of our society; it's everywhere: in ploitics, in sports, in comedy and even in movies! Race is so big because we as a people have made it this big! if you believe in something so strongly it's bound to stick and it has! It's an unfortunate way of classifying an individual both quickly and stereotypically. I see no change happening soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment