Monday, September 19, 2011

Segregation in My Neighborhood

After the class where we talked about segregation in major cities I went around my neighborhood to see how segregated it was. i realized that my neighborhood is white, white, and more white. I was amazed wheb I saw tons of white people about five houses of minorities. I do live in the subarbs of East Amherst so that may be a reason I did not see the many people of color. People of all races should live together. Those maps that we looked at in class made me upset. All different colors to dots should be together and not a bunch of green dots together ot a bunch of blue dots together. It should be green, blue, yellow, and red together. To quote Bono from U2, "I believe in the Kingdom Come. Then all the colors will bleed into one". We need to take all of these segregated colors and make them into one.

1 comment:

  1. Nick - I agree with you about looking at the maps- it made me upset as well! I was somewhat aware about the segregation of housing in Buffalo, but was shocked to see how much of a dividing line Main Street really is. I have to say though, many people think all races should live together and some don't. Should people of all races live together? What are the pros and cons of that and what are some suggestions you have for how our area could be more assimilated? I do believe though that all the colors blending together would be a kingdom come. If only we could get there!

    ReplyDelete