Tuesday, November 1, 2011

There's a book about the life of Paris Hilton's dog?



The readings that were assigned for class today seriously blew my mind. I mean, I know what types of television shows are on TV but I never really take the time to think about it. I don’t watch much reality TV. Actually, today in class was the first time I ever saw Keeping up with the Kardashians. It was one of the most ridiculous things I’ve ever seen. For some reason, people in our society are obsessed with watching stories about people who are richer than them. We find it interesting to watch how these people act, see their huge homes, observe what they do with their money, etc. I agree with the reading that the media trivializes class and doesn’t show the real struggles going on in middle class or working class peoples’ lives. I’ve also never watched The Simple Life, but after reading that Paris and Nicole drive around and rely on the kindness of strangers, I could only laugh to myself. The show apparently focuses on the two of them, yet does any body consider the lives of the nice people they run into that clearly don’t have the money they have? It is unfortunate that some people want to be like these celebrities on TV. It’s so engrained in our society’s heads that being of a higher class is better, that people will do anything to look like they are in a higher class. Instead of attempting to make changes such as using money more wisely or saving for a better education, people spend their money on 1 fancy car or something else expensive because it makes them feel of a higher class. This still does not make them equal at all to these celebrities whose lives are constantly focused on in the media. It is absolutely amazing to me that anyone would read Paris Hilton’s biography, let alone her dogs’. Why do people in society think this is important and like reading it? Just because there are people of a higher class, does not mean they are any better people than we are. (or that we should strive to be like them.)

No comments:

Post a Comment