Tuesday, November 29, 2011

When did dinner become a chemistry experiment?

Today was not the first time I have seen FOOD INC. but trust me the shock doesn’t wear off much. One thing I feel the movie doesn’t do is give enough attention to the use of genetically altered livestock, and the heavy use of preservatives in processed food. Maybe it’s my interest in medicine as a career but the two practices have always caused me a lot of concern. Everything I have learned in biology suggests that genetically altering anything is asking for health problems both for the animals and us. First as seen in the movie, genetically altering animals causes them an unbelievable amount of inhuman suffering and that alone is reason enough to not do it. Second we cannot be sure what the long term effects of these chemicals are going to have on human health. The FDA has already been shown to be untrustworthy in terms of regulating the food business to be honest about possible side effects. The practice of genetically altering meat also hasn’t been around long enough for us to determine long term side effects which can take decades to surface. Food preservatives have already been linked to increased rates of cancer and I fear that similar diseases will be associated with genetically altered meat in the future. I personally believe that it is impossible to cheat nature, it always gets even in the end. All this artificially cheap food is going to have massive health implications such as diabetes, cancer and other preventable diseases that are going to end up costing us more in the end. I’d rather pay more for honestly healthy food and be healthy then eat all this cheap artificial food.

No comments:

Post a Comment