Monday, November 7, 2011

Tiger Woods' Caddie Makes Racist Remarks

This past Friday, Tiger Woods' former caddie Steve Williams made a racially insensitive comment about Tiger. "It was my aim to shove it up his black arsehole," said Williams in reference to a victory he and his new partner Adam Scott made at the Bridgestone Invitational back in August. Searching for an answer to his struggles on the course, Woods parted ways with Williams earlier in the summer. Williams, who stuck with Tiger through his "mistress scandal," was clearly displeased with that Woods let him go despite Williams loyalty during a rough stretch. In an interview following the Scott-Williams win at Bridgestone, an elated Williams claimed "it was the best victory of my life."

Williams made the "arsehole" comments at a private caddy award ceremony in Shanghai. He has since made a public apology stating, "I now realize how my comments could be construed as racist. However I assure you that was not my intent." To me this apology seems half-hearted and I believe he was showing his true colors when he made the remarks. Williams was happy to ride Tiger's coattails when he was dominating the PGA, but after Woods rightfully fired him he developed a deep bitterness towards Tiger. He seems to be reveling in Tiger's misfortune and willing to stoop to racial obscenities to rub it in. His actions have been inexcusable.
http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/7191473/steve-williams-aims-racial-epithet-tiger-woods

No comments:

Post a Comment