Monday, October 17, 2011

At least it's not Married With Children

When thinking about gender displays in our culture and media, at least we aren't in the age of shows like Married With Children anymore..

I was watching it this weekend (was up at 5am, long night) and me and my girlfriend were kind of in shock at just how ridiculous it was. Firstly I'd like to say that I understand that the show is supposed to be kind of ridiculous, but the sexist scenes in the show were astounding.

The main character's daughter won a vacation to some beach and her trip with her friends was simply a display in ridiculous sexism. She talks like the prototypical "dumb blonde", her and her friends were literally, and I mean this, one-hundred percent focused on impressing guys and showing off their bodies.

This got me to thinking that while we are far from being free from sexism in our society, we have come a long way in that shows like Married With Children aren't #1 on TV anymore... and we are better for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment