Monday, October 31, 2011

Rich Children

I must admit, I was pretty ignorant to the facts that we learned about America's distribution of wealth. But, when I actually think about it I can definitely see it. There is a very unequal distribution of wealth. It really has nothing to do with how hard you work, or if you go to college anymore. It seems that most of America's money is just going to the wrong places.
I constantly see articles popping up online about child celebrities and the amount of money they make. I decided to look into this, and I am in shock over how much some of these kids make. For example:

-Miranda Cosgrove from the Nickelodeon show, iCarly makes $180,000 per episode.
-The kid from Two and a Half Men, Angus Jones makes $250,000 per episode.
-Selena Gomez from the Disney show, Wizards of Waverly Place makes $25,000 per episode (it almost seems small compared to the above two, but don't worry-she is worth $5.5 million).
-Justin Bieber has earned 53 million dollars
-Miley Cyrus has earned 48 million dollars.

Do these kids really deserve that much? Is what Miranda Cosgrove doing worth $180,000? How can so many families in the U.S. be living near the poverty line while teenagers are making so much? It would take a normal family years to accumulate (if they ever do accumulate) the amount of money some of these children make in one episode.
No wonder America's wealth distribution is so unequal.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alexandria, I wonder the same thing as you! Yeah, I enjoy watching the little bit of television that I do. But how is what I'm watching valuable enough for someone to be paid 6 figures? It blows my mind and I continually wonder where all this money is coming from. It's so interesting to me that acting in a certain way on television can you so much money, when people who work at intensive labor jobs for a living full time, will never make that much. This really shows us what jobs are valued in our culture and what is important. Which, is really sad.

    ReplyDelete