Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Reel Injun

The documentary showed me how Native American stereotypes were perpetuated over the years in film and other media.  It also revealed to me my own ignorance on the matter, for instance I had no idea that not all tribes wore feather headdresses, or that none wore headbands for that matter.  That's not to say I didn't know of the existence of tribes, I was under the impression that feather headdresses were at least a mostly universal Native American characteristic.  Same goes for the cliche headband always seen in movies/depictions of Native Americans, they are an artifact of the need to keep wigs on white actors during action sequences which I was completely unaware of.  And to reiterate what at least one other person said on here, it seems whenever white people stand to gain something we belittle, mistreat, demonize, and slander anyone that prevents us from obtaining the land/labor/resources we desire.

No comments:

Post a Comment