Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Jamey Rodemeyer

Since we have done a lot of talking in class about homosexual people I thought it would be good to talk about Jamey Rodemeyer. Jamey was a freshman in high school and he was bullied mercilessly in high school, but mostly in middle school. He could not take it anymore that he had to kill himself. He went to Williamsville North which is 3 minutes from my house. A lot of my friends knew him or a member in his family. This was a wake up call for many people. All of those bullies should feel terrible. They are saying now that bullying is wrong but they thought it was fine before they made a kid commit suicide. Hmmm sounds a little guilty to me. Bullying should never happen because something horrible like this can happen and no one wants a repeat of this tragedy.

1 comment:

  1. Nick, I do agree that this was a wake up call for many people. What is sad about situations like these is that many kids in this age group have committed suicide before due to bullying from their peers- but, each time after it happens, it is a big deal for a while but then slowly fades out. The next time an individual kills themselves, the issue of stereotyping and bullying is pulled back to the forefront. I'm hoping that many organizations and movements can stay in the forefront and keep the message going strong that bullying is wrong. I'm hoping WIlliamsville North and other schools make anti-bullying programs part of their curriculum. I completely agree that there is barely a focus on bullying until someone commits suicide. This truly was horrible and I hope a lot of people can continue learning the value of acceptance.

    ReplyDelete