Sunday, October 9, 2011

The People Speak Continued

Relating to Steffanie's post under this, I actually have watched The People Speak in one of my other classes. It really is an inspiring movie, and I felt much more educated about the past after I finished watching it. Howard Zinn starts by saying, he had never heard of a history book written from a different perspective besides white males. So, he decided to write one. The movies goes through history in order, just like any other book, but it tells stories such as slavery, suffrage, the Vietnam War - through minorities eyes. The movie is laid out in a way where different celebrities perform speeches of powerful individuals from the past. Sojourner Truth, Frederick Douglass, and Muhammad Ali, just to name a few. The celebrities show their support for teaching history in this way so that more of America understands what really went into forming our society as it is today. My eyes were really opened and I learned about the struggles minorities went through. It was so interesting to watch about all the different struggles- better working conditions, better wages, voting rights for blacks and women. I do think everyone should watch it because you really do get a different view of history than the traditional/conventional white man's history which we were all taught growing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment