Tuesday, October 11, 2011

women police officers

Since we started talking about different gender roles between males and females, I have been thinking about comments I have heard from friends and family about certain jobs not being right for women or that they are looked down upon in these jobs. For example, a police officer is normally a man. When ever one of my guy friends gets pulled over by a woman police officer they always make comments like "shes a bitch" or "dike" or she cant do anything to me shes just a girl. I even find myself falling for this stereotype. The first time I got pulled over, it was by a woman police officer and she did not write me a ticket and I remember thinking to myself that I was happy I got a girl because she would be more emotional and more likely to let me go. These thoughts should not happen but I know im not the only one who thinks this. Women police officers are looked down upon all the time and ive heard plenty of men say what would she be able to do if a big man came after her? Whether it is a man or a women they are both trained the same and should be able to complete the same skills.

2 comments:

  1. i completely agree with you because the same thing happened to me. i got pulled over by a woman and my first instinct was to start crying because of how nervous i was. i didn't get a ticket because she stated that she felt bad for me and she would let me off this time. and the same thoughts went through my head. was it because she was a woman? and if it were a man would he have let me go too? its interesting to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought this post was interesting. I definitely agree with the fact that women police officers are stereotyped however the stereotypes that come to my mind are a little revered. I always think how I dont want to get pulled over my a female cop because since she a female and a cop that makes her a bitch and very tough and would never let me get away with anything. I know this isn't true at all but it's what comes to my mind and shows that there are gender stereotypes ingrained in us

    ReplyDelete